Thursday, August 8, 2013

You Already Know You Know

I have been struggling lately to find a good topic for my blog posts. I have to write every day because it's one of the main things keeping me motivated to continue this healthy journey I'm on.

I was actually inspired for today's topic.

I don't know about all of you but I am an information seeker. I try to find out all the information I can about something, whether it's something I'm going to purchase or somewhere I'm going to visit or something I'm going to start doing. Before I cook something I read the recipe several times to make sure I know how to do it before I get into cooking it. That's how I am with pretty much everything I decide to do or try.

Over the years I've researched and read and absorbed all the information I can about healthy eating, diets, exercise, etc. I have read books, talked with doctors, went to dietitians, taken diabetic education classes. I even know the psychology behind a lot of it having worked in social work and getting my Master's in Health Education. I know all the stages of change people have to go through to make a behavior part of their life.

I keep thinking about how this time is going to be different and wondering what changed.

My point of realization came when I was helping other people trying to lose weight. I was giving them healthy eating and exercise tips. I was giving them advice on making behavior changes and working through psychological road blocks.

It dawned on me then. I already KNOW what I need to KNOW. 

It's time to DO.

Each day I have to wake up and make a choice to keep going on this journey. I have to remember to check my blood sugar. I have to record my calories to help me make good food choices. I have to make a grocery list and meal plan so all that I have available is healthy food. I have to make time to exercise. I have to plan around every day life including taking care of kids, doing laundry, running errands, going on playdates or doctor appointments or family beach trips.

I'm definitely not perfect. I never will be. But I stumble a lot and find myself maybe in the drive thru at Taco Bell on a day when I have a lot of errands to run or lounging on the couch during naptime instead of getting in a good workout. 

I have to decide, next time, to bring snacks, schedule errands around meal times so we don't go out on an empty stomach, or even to choose healthier food if I HAVE to go through the drive thru.

I have to decide to turn on the Kinect or pop in a workout DVD when the baby is sleeping.

It only takes a second to really decide to do something and start it. Sitting around dreading it, thinking about doing it or reading about how I can get in a work out won't help me get healthy.

A lot of people repeatedly ask how to lose weight, diet tips, exercise tips, etc. I did that.  The answers are always the same.

If you are asking these questions more than once, please realize this:

You already KNOW. It's time to DO.

3 comments:

  1. I love this post! Having spent my entire adult life "dieting" (after being an overweight child as well), and this time IS different. The biggest difference for me is that I love myself through the process instead of hating myself for my mistakes. Forgiveness for me was key.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's the DOing that is the hardest. I know i know how to do everything too. It's the physically getting my duff off the couch and pushing play. LOL I admit, it's easier to find time when the kids are in school. I hate trying to work out in front of them. I tried to get them to workout with me, and they end up getting in my way :( and get hurt. One day it will all click and i'll get the healthy stuff and the exercise stuff spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) There's that will-power I was talking about! :D

    ReplyDelete