Friday, August 2, 2013

Time to Unplug

I got into a Facebook fight today.
Mature no?
My feelings were valid and expressing them was not necessarily a bad thing. However, it turned into something much larger than I anticipated or intended. A couple dozen people responded to my post, with several posts each. Last I counted I had 65 comments.  That did not count the private messages I got. Of course 99% of these were in support of my perspective. The other 1% was the person about whom I was speaking. She didn't like it one bit and got snarky and all "woe is me" and defensive. It was infuriating.
But you know what?
I literally wasted HOURS of my day on this ridiculous Facebook argument.
HOURS--like close to 4 probably.
RI-DIC-U-LOUS.

I have had issue with how much I am on Facebook for awhile. Batman doesn't like it. Monkey gets frustrated when my face is constantly in my phone. Most of the time I am mindlessly scrolling through grumpy cat memes and breastfeeding pictures and ignoring game requests for Candy Crush. Sometimes I come across something meaningful and profound. Or I make playdates with other moms in the area. Or I share pictures of my cute kids with my family.

But approximately 80% of the time it's something I could have lived my whole life without needing to see.

And I look up and catch the tail end of Monkey tickling Baby Bug or Monkey trying to show me a new dance move she made up or Baby Bug bringing me a book to read or Batman tickling Baby Bug until she giggles. The tail END of that. And I'm in the same room--I should see ALL OF IT.

This is not to say that I have to be completely wrapped up in what they are doing every single second of every single day.

But there are many other things I could be doing instead of mindlessly scrolling through the endless sea of George Takei quotes and posts from The Oatmeal.

I could be reading (we have a goal of 25 books by the end of summer and we have about 18 left to go with one month left!) I could be exercising. I could be cleaning. I could be napping. I could be meal planning. I could be going through the things in the basement that I can sell to get extra cash. I could be going for a walk or taking the kids to the park or letting Baby Bug crawl from the front yard to the back or blowing bubbles and listening to her giggle.

Facebook is a nice place to catch up with friends and family and a nice place to zone out once in awhile, but it is time for me to zone in--on the things that are important to me.  I'm taking a 48 hour hiatus from Facebook. Doesn't seem like much but when you can barely go 7 minutes without checking your alerts, it's time to take a step back.

It's time to unplug and move around a little.

5 comments:

  1. I understand!! While I didn't miss it when we were out of town for 5 days, but now that we are back home, I find myself wanting to play stupid CAndy Crush. Maybe my internet will magically stop working! (((HUGS))) Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mike doesn't like it when i'm on here all the time on facebook either. I understand, but when i'm stuck at home without a car and not much money to do anything, i get bored. Being back home in MI and having a car, i feel less drawn to busy myself with fb. Hopefully that will keep up. I also hate sitting at the computer for hours.. i'd much rather it be on a phone, then i could walk around and do stuff while fbing, but that won't happen til i get a job.. lol. Anyways, good for you trying to unplug and get plugged back into life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a timer set of my computer. Focus Booster. Then when kiddo is around I never allow myself longer than 10-15min to check on on Facebook. Because I work from home it is hard for me to not spend all day on Facebook. Especially when a lot of work related material is on there. It is a time sucker for sure. You just have to set yourself a block of time - no more - no less and stick to it. Of course, being a SAHM that can be hard because you need to have those mom connections. You will figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having it on the phone makes it worse--because you really don't get to move around and do other stuff if you get caught up in it all day.
    I may be able to pick some certain times of the day to check it. I need to do something.

    ReplyDelete