Saturday, July 20, 2013

What's Your Number?

I may be going about this in a different way than most.

I actually do not know how much I weigh. The last time I checked it was probably March and I weighed 227lbs.

I could be more or I could be less by now. I have no idea though.

I don't own a scale.

I've contempleted buying one at a thrift store recently (because we just can't afford a new one--hell we can't afford a used one now.) But I realized that would make me obsess about the number.

Its just a number though. Everyone has one and it's different at different times of the day.

I've thought about using a tape measure to figure out if I'm losing inches. But that's just more numbers to obsess over.

So I'm going to try and just do this based on how I am feeling, based on my energy level, based on how I look in the mirror, based on how my clothes fit--you know, when I can break up with the X.

The good news is that I've gotten Batman on board with myfitnesspal.com. I think he enjoys seeing the numbers (hahaha) add up and figuring out how to make better choices. He's a little surprised that he has to eat more than I do--just about 500 more per day than me. He's also surprised at how difficult it is to get that in in a healthy way and how easy it is to go over with unhealthy choices.

Regardless of what the scales say, what the tape measures say, what our clothes say--we're finally taking time to make our health a priority so we can be around for a lot more years together :)

2 comments:

  1. I think you're definitely going about it the RIGHT way (choosing to be healthy over being a certain number). I too don't really know what I weighed when I made the decision to change my life (didn't have a scale either). I had a doctor's appt 3 months before my change and I weighed 163 lbs (at 5'2'') and the doctor called me "obese." I went home that day and sorta tried "diets" and figured that wasn't going to work for me...I ended up buying a scale to chart my progress and I did become obsessed (to the point I dropped down to 93 lbs and again finding myself "unhealthy"). It was has taken me a long time to not be dependent on the scale (I never should have bought it in the first place). I was weighing myself 5+ times a day (now do so about once a week). Such a liberating feeling to let it go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my medical files probably say "morbidly obese" but my doctors haven't offered much in the way of help to become NOT morbidly obese. I hope what I am doing works!

      Delete