Sunday, July 28, 2013

Two Five Six

I was diagnosed as diabetic in 2002. I was 21 years old and a type II diabetic. My blood sugar was something like 436 when I went to the ER for what I thought was an asthma attack. I did have trouble breathing but I'm wondering now if it was all my asthma.
I ignored it for 10 months and then became pregnant. By this time it was too late to get it under control and I subsequently lost that baby due to uncontrolled blood sugars. I vowed after that to do better and made a lot of changes. But I really didn't. I gained a lot of weight. I was 252 lbs at my heaviest weight.
In 2005 I got pregnant with Monkey and I was a perfect patient. I promptly lost 16lbs following the strict diet and only gained 13lbs back by the time I delivered. Upon Monkey's birth, my blood sugars regulated and I dropped 30lbs. I felt AMAZING. I didn't have to take any medication for about 2 months and then they started creeping back up.
I gained a lot of weight and lost a lot of weight. I've gone up and down for my whole adult life. Eventually in 2009, when I went through a divorce from Monkey's father, I got my act together.  Summer of 2010 I joined roller derby and really kicked things up. My blood sugar was under control and I was very nearly off my medications for both diabetes and asthma. In fact I really wasn't taking my asthma medications because I did not need them.
Summer of 2011 I started dating Batman and he is a food lover. All things comfort food and salty/crunchy snacks. I started cooking for him and he loved it. I made fried chicken and biscuits and gravy and meatloaf and mashed potatoes. We went out to eat chicken wings and pizza and hamburgers all the time. I started gaining weight again and my blood sugar wasn't as good as it was before.
November 2011 I found out I was pregnant with Baby Bug. I vowed to try and eat just as well as I did with Monkey, however I went through a lot of stressful complications with Baby Bug's pregnancy. I got a horrible rash, was not able to continue exercising, got the stomach flu, Monkey got head lice--and this was just in the first three months. By month 4 I was stress eating and depressed.  Then I lost my job. It was devestating and terrifying. I had savings and was able to get by with the help of Batman. We decided to get married that April.  The day after our wedding, I went into the hospital with an asthma attack. Five days later our entire apartnent flooded and we lost over half of our belongings. The next day I went into pre-term labor.
Dealing with all of that was a lot and food was my comfort. We were getting assistance and lots of it was food assistance. We always had plenty to eat and eat I did. I wasn't really checking my blood sugar and I was eating what I wanted.
Baby Bug was born 3 and a half weeks early. She was retaining so much fluid and had low blood sugar that she had a hard time regulating.
I felt INSANELY guilty. 
She was in the NICU for 8 days due to complications. I wasn't able to breastfeed very well because of her having to be there, me getting a fever and having to stay away from her for 24 hours, and of course, my blood sugar wasn't controlled.
We went home to our new apartment and were only able to stay there for 3 months before having to move in with family. Baby Bug wasn't gaining weight despite our best efforts at breastfeeding. Batman started a new job while I frantically searched for one.
November 2012 we were told we had to move out of our family's home.  I got a job that paid crap and then we moved into our current rental home.
Through all of this, food was my best friend. I couldn't do much but damn I could COOK some delicious comfort food. So Batman was, is at his heaviest weight. I'm hovering around average for my adult life.
I haven't checked my blood sugar regularly in several years. I checked today and was shocked at the number because I have been eating fairly well.
256.
I'm looking forward to going to a new doctor and getting control back over this aspect of my health.
I want to see that number go down along with the one on the scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment