Thursday, October 3, 2013

Seeing The Benefits

The nurse called from my doctor's office today. They received the results of my bloodwork. I was prepared for them to tell me I needed to go to the hospital to bring my blood sugars down to a safe level.
I was pleasantly surprised when the number was actually decent.
I referenced a test called hba1c.  That's where they draw your blood and check the average of what your blood sugar has been running over the last few months. For you nerd types, this link to Medline will explain the test. It also explains the results. I'll copy and paste that part:
An HbA1c of 5.6% or less is normal.
The following are the results when the HbA1c is being used to diagnose diabetes:
  • Normal: Less than 5.7%
  • Pre-diabetes: 5.7% to 6.4%
  • Diabetes: 6.5% or higher
If you have diabetes, you and your doctor or nurse will discuss the correct range for you. For many people the goal is to keep your level at or below 6.5 - 7%.

So my last one taken in March was somewhere between 9 and 11. I can't recall exactly. I think it was in the 9 range.  My best one ever was 5.6% a few years ago when I was much healthier. The number given to me today was 7.8%

I think I about fell out of my chair. I am sure the doctor probably did too.

I haven't taken any medication in quite some time so the decrease in that number from March until now was done purely by changing diet and exercise.

It's good to see results like that. Sometimes you wonder if what you're doing is paying off at all really. 

It is.  Keep going.

1 comment:

  1. Keep up the great work, so very happy for you!

    ~Andrea Orlando

    ReplyDelete